Monday, July 25, 2011

Pete the Cat at Dollar Tree & Today's Freebie

    After reading so many blog posts about "Brain Bubbles," I decided that I absolutely have to make some for my classroom this year.  How I'm going to make them kindergarten-friendly is dilemma for another day...  So, I headed to Dollar Tree this morning to get the infamous 10-packs of plastic "bubble" containers that I'm going to need to start the project. I've also read a lot about the teacher section, so I was excited to check that out as well. (Boy, blog hopping is expensive inspiring!) Well, I found the containers. (Actually, the incredibly helpful manager found them. In the back room. In the fifth box he tried. At the bottom. Thanks, Mike!)  I was embarrassingly exuberant (I stopped short of hugging him) when he came out with them, but what really had the Dollar Tree employees looking at me like I was a nutball was when I all but shrieked when I saw this bulletin board border:
Could it be any more perfect for Pete the Cat!?!
     Sadly, they only had one pack and the strips are short and I don't think they will go all the way around my bulletin board. I'll have to hit up another Dollar Tree for some more 'cause the cuteness is just too much!  If I can find enough, I'm going to get an extra pack to cut apart into cards for a Pete the Cat Pat matching game or a "making patterns" center.
     On to today's emergent reader.  This one steps it up a notch with three word phrases and introduces color words. I usually display a color chart on the SmartBoard when the kids are working on the mini-books so they have a reference to help them with the color words. (The clever ones will realize they can look on the wrappers of their crayons, but that's a little tricky.)  Don't forget to enter the Blogi-versary Giveaway if you haven't yet. Enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT - I LOVE IT - I LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing. I cannot wait to use it in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, thank you so much! I do love these, and I know my students will too.

    Ms. M
    Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all of the emergent readers! I absolutely love the finger marks under the words. Can't wait to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this thanks! I'm going to have to head to Dollar Tree to see if they have border. I recently fell in love with Pete the Cat. Even my 11 month year old niece loved the book. Can't wait to read it to my kiddos.

    http://mskerriandherkrazykindergarten.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Went to my dollar Tree and couldn't find the border...I am going to try a different one here in town..wish me luck. I want that border!! I went to staples and got 4 red sneakers(the ones Fran from Kindergarten crayons talked about) to make a BIG Pete the Cat for my room..he is going to be my mascot this year. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this, it is great. My kindergarteners will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw something similar on The Kindergarten Crayons blog - she uses dots under the words instead. What great ideas! I will use them in my mini-books, too!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  8. We used to use Dr. Jean's tip of putting the dots under the words but then our Special Ed teacher suggested that some of our more literal learners might need something even more concrete. The finger icon works really well - I print them on Avery labels to stick under the text in our "real" guided reading books and include them in the readers I make. (I'll post the labels later if anyone wants a copy.)
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for such an adorable book! I can't wait to use this in my Pete plans!

    Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just discovered your great blog - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What are BRAIN BUBBLES? I googled it and came up with nothing. Can you update a fellow K teacher as to what these are???? THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that border! Unfortunately, I cannot find it at the Dollar Tree store or website. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for such a wonderful book! I love Pete and want to hear more about Brain Bubbles!

    Congratulations on 1,000 followers! =)

    I would love for you to come check out all of my monster *freebies* when you get the chance. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your financial plan ought to be composed down or continued your PC to permit you to routinely return to and survey the subtle elements. You can contrast your financial plan and your bank articulations and real outgoings to guarantee that it is still precise and material. Cash Advance

    ReplyDelete
  15. Any moneylender, be that as it may, will require confirmation of the estimation of the auto, and a 20 percent up front installment. This is ordinary and ought not be viewed as a suspicious solicitation. Both these directions are intended to give the bank a wellbeing edge, ought to the advance go into default. cash advance

    ReplyDelete
  16. บาคาร่า Online gambling games site to make a full bet every day, fun, easy to play as selected. Get a gamble that will be liked. Make more money. Make money at anyone's choice. Is a gambler every day Wherever it is, gamblers play themselves every day. Fun is easy to gamble. You will gamble yourself all areas. Come play selectively. I will play this game. You do not have to pay for the time to have a game that will play very easily. Get things that are good every day.

    Betting on gambling in all areas. Bet on the selected gamblers to make good money. Do not waste time. It will play itself in every way. Make the return easier. Where to get fun and have a number of betting games. Gamblers have their own place. Get more compensation. Gambling can be customized with a variety of games. Full of bets that will not be played at all. There are gamblers who will make a profit easier. G club

    ReplyDelete
  17. Browse the latest collection of Affordable Sex Dolls in the USA at an affordable price. It's incredibly realistic and offers you real satisfaction and pleasure.

    ReplyDelete