Saturday, July 20, 2013

Summer Rewind (Part 1)

    Ahhhh. Summer Vacation. I love, love, love teaching, but I cherish the time off each July and August. I really think a break from lesson plans, assessments, staff meetings, demanding parents, etc. lets us recharge and regroup and get ready to hit the ground running in September.  I've been out of school for almost 3 weeks and I feel like a new person!

    This year was an especially tough one for me.  I faced a pretty significant medical crisis in February, and then it took awhile to get back to full speed.  I worked extra hard to make sure that my class didn't miss out on anything, and we ended the year in great shape.

    My poor little blog suffered with just a handful of posts because of everything I had on my plate and I feel like there were so many things that I didn't get a chance to share!  So, here's my plan - I'm going to hit the "rewind" button this summer and post some things from the year that I wished I had written about at the time. Hopefully you won't mind the randomness of it all, because I think there might be some things you can use for the upcoming year, so stay tuned . . .

    I'll leave you with a quick freebie for the first "rewind."  I do a cute little activity to "bookend" the year and give the kids and their families a look at how much they've grown in kindergarten.  On the first day of school, I have the kids draw their self-portraits and label them with their names.  Then, I tuck them away in a safe place. (I always tell someone where I'm putting them so I can find them in June!)  On the last day of school, I have the kids repeat the activity and then glue both portraits on a big sheet of construction paper.  They get the biggest kick out of looking back at the first day portraits and noticing what a difference a year makes!  You can download both templates below the picture.
I'd love to hear if your summer vacation is off to a great start, too!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your freebie! I like your rewind idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this post is very informative and helpful. I have to add this to my collection. You did a great job! Very good article. there is a very good articlre abuo BPM counter ,With the help of this online BPM Counter, you do not need to keep a physical gadget with you to calculate the number of beats. You may be interested in reading this article. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete